Monday, February 1, 2010

The big day!!

Well today was the day. The day my little girl took her first steps into big school. I was surprisingly calm for someone that cried at the drop of a hat yesterday. The tears welled up in my eyes as we left, but they didn't stream down my face like I was expecting. Having to walk away was one of the hardest things to do, but when I looked back and saw her smiling face waving me off it seemed to make it better. And even nicer still when I picked her up in the afternoon. I have a few photos from today to share, all being of our big girl of course. There are a few other photos too, but they are on my other camera.

Getting sick of photos by this stage...the fake smile is starting to creep in


At the end of her big day just relaxing on the steps at school.

Initially there wasn't much chatting when Kayla came home, just taking it all in I think. But now I have heard the whole story about her day. From what I can gather, she had a fabulous time at school and she loves Mr Munroe her teacher. They have a few class rules which she said are "very important", and her lunch was apparently very yummy. It was a very exciting day for Kayla, and one that I have dreaded for a long time, but I think we all came through it with a smile on our face.

Also today I have another Make it on Monday installment. Today I thought we would have a cooking lesson. This is a recipe for Savoury muffins from the Day to Day Cookery book that I tried yesterday.

4 bacon rashers, chopped
2 shallots chopped
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup grated cheese
1 cup corn kernels
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ tbsp margarine, melted
1 cup milk

1. Place bacon and shallots in a small pan.
2. Cook over medium heat until bacon is cooked but not hard. Allow to cool
3. Sift flour into a bowl
4. Add bacon, cheese and corn and mix
5. Make a well in the centre and pour in egg, margarine and milk and mix well
6. Spoon mixture into 12 well-greased muffin pans, filling then two-thirds full
7. Bake in a hot oven (200 to 220 degrees Celsius) for approximately 20 minutes.

And here are my muffins

Th The little ones are for the girls lunches, and the big ones are for our lunches. For the mini muffins I put them in the oven for about 12 minutes. I think next time I will add some carrot as well. These muffins were well received by the family, so I think they will become a regular item in their lunch boxes. They freeze well also, which I love. Yummy!!

Until tomorrow

7 comments :

Samantha Hauzer said...

Awww...she looks so cute in her uniform. It's so hard to walk away on that first day, but it sounds like you both did really well :)

Aussie TM5 Thermomixer said...

She looks so grown up in all her gear! Sounds like she had a great day. Oh, it's so emotional and mine is not in "big school" yet!!! LOL

Cherie said...

Glad to hear you both handled it well Renee.

She looks pretty cute in green :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos Renee! Glad she enjoyed her first day - and you coped well too!

Unknown said...

She looks so cute! I just love reading your story! I'm a preschool teach and sometimes it seems harder on the Mom's to leave then the kids. It sounds like you both handled it well!

Christine said...

Oh Renee, I was thinking of you, it is so hard to let them go. I'm so pleased that she went off happily and had a good day. Big hugs,
Christine xx

Jenny said...

Aww you have such precious cuties!!! Glad she loved her first day! :)